Dear HAICU community,
today we would like to provide information about the latest developments around the HAICU concept and implementation.
The decisions about the HAICU locations have been made; you might already have heard about these through the official Helmholtz press release or eurekalert. We are happy to announce that HAICU Central will be implemented in Munich at HMGU.
Fabian Theis will be the director of HAICU Central, and this unit will represent the research field Health. Local Units will be implemented at the German Aerospace Center (DLR, research field Aeronautics, Space and Transport), Forschungszentrum Jülich (FZJ, research field Information), Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR, research field Matter), Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht (HZG, research field Earth and Environment), and Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT, research field Energy).
Information about the specific focus and details of planned implementation concepts of each HAICU Unit will be provided at the HAICU webpage soon. Additionally, information will be spread via our twitter account (Helmholtz Artificial Intelligence Cooperation Unit, @helmholtz_ai).
The HAICU Steering Board has been appointed by President O. Wiestler during the Assembly of Members. We are happy to present you the members of the Steering Board:
- Fabian Theis – HAICU Central, HMGU, Health
- Morris Riedel – HAICU Local, FZJ, Information
- Guido Juckeland – HAICU Local, HZDR, Matter
- Xiaoxiang Zhu – HAICU Local, DLR, Aeronautics, Space and Transport
- Ralf Mikut – HAICU Local, KIT, Energy
- Corina Schrum – HAICU Local, HZG, Earth and Environment
- Oliver Stegle – DKFZ, Health
- Judith Katzy – Desy, Matter
- Frank Jenko – IPP, Energy
- Frederik Tilmann – GFZ, Earth and Environment
In April, the first meeting of representatives from all HAICU Units took place in Munich. Together, we discussed the next steps and milestones.
First meeting of the HAICU representatives April 2019
© Helmholtz Zentrum München
We have started the recruitment of the HAICU management by announcing open positions on the webpage and on other relevant job portals. People who are not on the HAICU mailing list yet and who are interested in HAICU news can register on the HAICU webpage. If you have ideas for use cases you can send them to us via the webpage. Currently, we are collecting all ideas and will process them as soon as our support structures are set up. Furthermore, we are implementing the Voucher System: For support in AI research questions, researchers can apply for vouchers with runtimes of 2 weeks up to 6 months. These vouchers will ensure minimal bureaucracy, short term collaborations and support with respect to tools, services and data science.
We would like to give you a short overview of the planned activities for the next months:
- The HAICU webpage will be launched.
- The call for HAICU projects is in its final preparation and will be published during the next weeks. HAICU projects will be funded for the durationof up to three years. All proposals will be evaluated by external experts.
- The Scientific Advisory Committee is currently being set up. Appropriate members have been listed and will be requested to join.
- Job openings for AI consultants and HAICU Junior Groups will be advertised.
We are looking forward to turn HAICU into an international beacon for implementing scientfic AI and to making the Helmholtz Association visible as a pioneering force in the field of applied AI.
In case of any questions, do not hesitate to contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org).
HAICU Management Team