The 2023 Helmholtz AI Project Call is now open!
Empowering minds across the Helmholtz Association: join the Helmholtz AI Project Call 2023, set breakthroughs – find out how below.
At the core of the Helmholtz AI mission is fostering cross-field creativity by stimulating collaborative research projects in applied machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI). In line with this vision, the annual Helmholtz AI Project Call, funded by the Helmholtz Association's Initiative and Networking Fund (INF), is designed to offer crucial support in bringing these projects to life. Researchers across the Helmholtz Association have the chance to secure seed funding for high-risk, high-gain scientific endeavors, paving the way for cutting-edge discoveries. We hope that these project calls help you develop enriching partnerships and exciting new project ideas.
- Objective: Helmholtz AI projects aim to enable research that addresses cross-center ML/AI challenges and methods; they should be seed-like, collaborative and have the potential to quickly generate larger follow-up projects. Practical implementation with external partners (e.g. academic, non-profit or companies) is encouraged. Helmholtz AI projects explicitly call for proposals of ‘high risk, high gain’ projects and projects that choose to fail fast over safe incremental advances. In addition to the core call, this year’s project call includes an add-on opportunity where up to three projects specifically generating AI-related use cases for quantum computing will be funded.
- Project duration: maximum three years
- Budget: €500k+ (maximum €250k provided by the INF, plus matching financing of at least the same amount provided by the participating centers)
- Eligibility: All Helmholtz researchers are eligible for funding; at least two Helmholtz centers must apply jointly.
- Submission: via submission portal only - HERE
- Applications open: 15 September 2023
- Applications close: 1 December 2023 (23:59 CET)
- Funding decision: By the end of Q1 2024, after a swift external review process.
PROJECT CALL DOCUMENTS AND TEMPLATES
Full details about objectives, eligibility criteria and application requirements can be found here. The application template can also be found there. Additional information will be inserted directly into the submission portal. In case of doubt, the call document should be considered as the source of truth.
LOOKING FOR COLLABORATORS?
We have created a special Mattermost channel where you can pitch your projects, state the skills or expertise you are looking for or offering, and connect with potential partners. Don't miss out on joining!