The 2022 Helmholtz AI project call is closed now.
At the core of the Helmholtz AI mission is fostering
cross-field creativity by stimulating collaborative
research projects in applied machine learning (ML)
and artificial intelligence (AI). Therefore, the annual Helmholtz AI project call, funded by the Helmholtz Association's Initiative and Networking Fund (INF), aims to support this goal. We hope that these project calls help you develop enriching partnerships and exciting new project ideas.
- Objective: Helmholtz AI projects aim to enable research that addresses cross-center ML/AI challenges and methods; they should be seed-like, collaborative and have the potential to quickly generate larger follow-up projects; solutions should be co-developed with potential users; practical implementation with external partners (e.g. academic, non-profit or companies) is encouraged. In addition, this year’s project call uniquely includes an add-on funding opportunity for projects with Israeli partners: up to three projects can be funded with increased funding.
- Duration of funding: Projects must be completed within a maximum of three years. That's why we are explicitly calling for ‘high risk, high gain’ and value learning from (fast) failure over incremental advances.
- Scale of funding: Two different funding options will be open this year:
- Applicants may request up to €200k from the funding line, which has to be matched by the participating centers with the same amount of money or more (≥€200k), in line with INF guidelines.
- Applicants collaborating with an Israeli partner may request up to €250k from the add-on opportunity this year which has to be matched by the participating centers with the same amount of money or more (≥€250k), in line with INF guidelines. Helmholtz AI projects aiming for the add-on opportunity this year shall also include a significant contribution by the Israeli partners in monetary value or in-kind contributions.
- Eligibility: All Helmholtz researchers are eligible for funding; at least two Helmholtz centers must apply jointly.
- Submission: All applications must be submitted through the dedicated submission portal: application.helmholtz.ai (opens on 15 September 2022)
- Deadline: The deadline for applications is 1 December 2022 (end of day, CET)
- Review: After a swift external review process, we aim for funding decisions by the end of Q1 2023.
Looking for a Industry partner?
Find some insights and tips here.
Past project calls
Find out more about the 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 selected projects
Do you still have a question about the Helmholtz AI project call 2022?
Then check out our new FAQ document or write an email to projectsnoSp@email@example.com!